Sunday 26 June 2016

Picking up the pieces


On Thursday, I asked my class if they had a vote, how would they use it in the EU Referendum. 19 said they would vote to remain, and 5 would vote to leave.

I was very careful not to share my view, and I outlined the argument on both sides. The truth is, it probably wouldn't have mattered if I was biased - they were quite confident in their vote even if they weren't sure of what it was all about! It's obviously been a topic that's been discussed at home, and many of them shared the views of their parents.

To be honest, I hadn't anticipated anything other than a remain victory. When I switched the TV on on Friday morning I felt shocked to the core. I felt the colour had drained from the modern, vibrant and confident country I had grown up in. Great Britain felt decidedly like 'Grey Britain.' But like most of the experts and people of my generation, I misjudged it. I misjudged the mood of a nation where large swathes of working class people feel dissastisfied with the political elite. I just wish their feelings could have been taken into account before it came to this.

Like most of my generation, I took to social media to share my grief. I drew solace from links, likes and shares on Facebook. I realised I was not alone. I was angry and confused, and it quickly became apparent that so were millions of others. I guess when the vote was as close as it was, there was bound to be a strong reaction.

And then came the backlash. 'I believe in democracy - until I don't get my way and then have a tantrum on Facebook.' That one was posted several times. I'm normally a moderate user on Facebook, but this weekend I have been more active purely because I care passionately about the outcome of this decision and I think it's a mistake. It's OK to care. And let's face it, being a keyboard warrior at least allows me to share my feelings and concerns with others.

One thing is clear - time will tell whether this was a good or bad decision, but if the public have got this badly wrong, then it's the children in my class who will be picking up the pieces.

And on current trends, the majority of those that wish to Leave the EU will be a minority within eighteen months as young people become old enough to vote. It will be up to them to show Europe what it means to be British in the 21st Century. I'm hopeful for a tolerant, unified, diverse and welcoming culture. I'm hopeful that this negative can be turned into a positive. And I'm hopeful that the young people in my class right now will have a massive part to play in that. Here's to the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment