Sunday 7 September 2014

#12 Teaching ISN'T the most important part of the job

This is pretty controversial, so prepare yourself: Teaching is NOT the most important role of the teacher.

After a six week break, many children are not ready for school. Some can't wait to get back. For others it's an escape from what can be an unhappy and even harmful home life.

So far, I've dealt with numerous parental break ups, family tragedies and on occasion those nasty cases where a child has disclosed something truly horrible that has to be passed on to the relevant authorities.

When I'm faced with a child's tears because of something that is happening at home, my heart breaks for them. As a teacher, that's the time when I have to put lessons, planning, marking and to do lists to one side and simply be there for them.

Each day, I spend six hours with my class. From Monday to Friday, I spend more time with them than they spend with their own parents. I know what makes them laugh. I know what makes them cry. I know everything about them, so my role is much more than simply teaching them lessons. You need a whole lot more in your locker than what you learn in teacher training. You need compassion. Sadly, there is also a great responsibility to report anything that is out of place in children's lives, which can cause great tension between parents and schools. Ultimately, though, the safety and protection of the child comes way before SATS results and school league tables.

Father. Teacher. Social Worker. It's the holy trinity of teaching.

0 comments:

Post a Comment