Saturday 30 August 2014

#11 You can say no



OK. I didn't do it. I got nominated for the Ice Bucket Challenge, and I declined. I paid money to a charity of my choice, but politely said no.

That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the spectacle. I watched countless celebrities getting cold for MND, enjoying George W.Bush in particular. Inevitably, as the campaign gathered momentum and broke into the lives of mere mortals, I laughed as I saw friends garble speeches, like condemned men at the gallows, before they got soaked. I even took a bit of delight from watching some 'Ice Bucket Fails' when the challenge goes a little wrong. All the while, in the back of my mind, I was thinking 'when will it be my turn?'

Then it came, on Wednesday. Not once, not twice, but three times was I nominated. Nearly all of my friends had done the deed, so perhaps they'd looked through their friends lists and thought, 'Wow, who can I pick who HASN'T done the challenge?

But I said no. Why? I am a killjoy? Was I scared about tipping ice over my head? Of course not. I just thought that the campaign had become so huge that there was nothing I could do individually to raise awareness for MND. Everyone in the country knows what those three letters stand for. It's a worthy charity, but actually not one that I feel called to support personally. So if I took the challenge, it would basically be because someone had told me to: "You have 24 hours."

And I have a bit of a problem with that. At school, children face peer pressure on a daily basis. It's important to do something to fit in. Don't question just do it. Follow the leader. Wear the right clothes. Do the same things. Don't make choices for yourself, just do what everyone else is doing.

There is another type of person that likes to follow the crowd, but has to try and go one better. I read about the teenager who had tragically (and foolishly) lept to his death off a cliff after taking part in the challenge. Why did he do it? Was that for charity? Was that to raise awareness of MND? Or was it to impress his friends?

And I know what's awaiting me when I return to school next week. Many children in my Y6 class are on Facebook. They shouldn't be, but they are, and there's nothing we can do. They've seen celebrities doing it. They've seen their parents do it. Sooner or later, they will get nominated themselves, purely because they are on Facebook.

Will they be doing it for MND? Should they be drawn into this? There is a danger it could all go too far and MND becomes a meaningless sideshow.

Before I finish, let me just say this - I love social media. I love being able to share pictures and videos instantly with friends and family all over the world. I love the way it has massive power to make changes for good. I love how it raises awareness of world issues. I love the way charities are benefiting from a whole new audience of givers. And I'm not saying that if a similar challenge took place in the future, I would decline again.

It's just that on this occasion, I have chosen to say no. Why? Because I can. It's MY choice.

It's also my choice to give money to a charity, of my choice. That is something that I know WILL make a difference.





0 comments:

Post a Comment