Friday 8 August 2014

#9 Age is no barrier

The Commonwealth Games were a resounding success. As the euphoria subsides, there is one memory which stands out for me. It was the image Steve Way, a super-slim English marathon runner who had just achieved his personal best. At 42-years old, he ran the race in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

This is remarkable in itself...someone of that age running such a distance in such a quick time. What's even more remarkable is that he only took up running seven years ago, at which point he was seventeen stone in weight and smoked twenty cigarettes a day.

In October this year, I will be taking part in the York Marathon, at the age of 35. I'm the same age as Steve when he took up running, but I don't smoke and am a healthy thirteen and a half stone.

If I use him as my inspiration, just think what I could achieve?!

In school, we often tell children that they can achieve their dreams. Sometimes as adults we need to be reminded that it's never too late.


0 comments:

Post a Comment