Sunday 19 October 2014

#17 It's time for Fair Pay

In late 2009, I made the decision to be a teacher. My prime motivation was, and still is, to serve within a community, helping children to realise their potential. The pay and pension scheme was an added bonus, providing my family with a comfortable lifestyle and security for the future.

During that same year, the funeral march had begun for a Labour Government whose twelve years in power had been built on the premise of "Education, education, education." And education was all the better for it.

The following year, the funeral was over. Labour were well and truly dead and buried. The new government quickly set to work on dismantling what Labour had built. Meanwhile, the new chancellor raided the pensions and salaries of public sector workers in order to reduce the national debt.

Of course, I didn't need to tell you that - you already knew. But the reason I'm writing about it today is that the profession I aspired to join in 2009 had fundamentally changed by the time I started my training in 2012. The generous pension scheme I liked the sound of had been reduced significantly. I was told that I should expect to be teaching until the age of 68. Finally, the salary that had attracted me had been reduced in real terms by between 10% and 15% as pay freezes were at odds with high rates of inflation.
On the march for Fair Pay: 'Britain Needs a Payrise' 18th Oct 2014


I am a husband and father of two. We own a modest three-bed semi. We can afford to run one car. We haven't had a holiday this year. I'm not quite sure how we'll afford Christmas presents, but we'll get by.

And so I'm left wondering...is this it? Is it too much to ask for enough money to take my own children on holiday? Perhaps it is. It pains me to say this, but there is a very good chance that the Conservatives will remain in power after the next election, and if that happens, then below inflation pay increases will be the norm until 2018 at the earliest. By this time, a teacher is likely to be worth 20% less than they were a decade previously. What's more, trainees will have to fork out £9000 in fees just to do a PGCE.

All the while, the government are adding to the pressures and workload of teachers by driving up the standards to compete with the 'best' education systems in the world. But how can a world-leading education system be created if the government itself doesn't even value the profession?

I think we could create a world leading education system. To do it, things need to change.

Fair pay. Please.


0 comments:

Post a Comment